1. The Women’s March on Washington (and other cities near you) is tomorrow. Attend, attend, attend.
For those who think it won’t matter, it will. Sheer volume isn’t just impressive, it translates into dollar signs for businesses. And money, my loves, makes the world go round.
Let me explain. When corporations are able to see the mass that stands in solidarity, they see a common denominator: feminism, justice, LGBQT rights, racial equality, etc. These are all just causes—and these are causes that can be monetized (whether it’s pairing up with an organization where a percentage of every sale is a donation or it’s turning an alliance into a brand philosophy/ethos to make itself appealing to a demographic). Millennials are smart; they choose to spend their money where personal beliefs align. And they’re the next generation that wields buying power.
In a not-so-jaded perspective, though, this is a prime opportunity to connect. Connect with like-minded women. Exchange information. Support each other. Discuss all the things you can do, political and otherwise. Because when we raise each other up, we empower each other to reach higher than we could alone.
And when we—and I mean we women, we feminists, we—are at the top, we can make change happen.
2. Speaking of women empowering women. Having a trusted mentor makes all the difference in your growth, success, and sanity. I’m endlessly grateful for mine.
3. I’m a creature of habit. When I like something, I really like something. (To illustrate: I’ll buy doubles of an item of clothing that I love, or buy it in every neutral color it comes in. I eat the same meals nearly everyday for an entire season and won’t tire of it. Et cetera.) Of late, I’m fixated with this super spicy Malaysian vegetable curry and order it every. Friday. night. as my dinner over the next few days. The restaurant’s owner now knows (and expects me) and tries to be helpful in suggesting other vegan dishes for me to try, but I can’t be swayed.
There is a point to this (besides the fact that I may or may not show mild signs of an addictive personality]: It’s easy to eat totally plant-based when you find the right foods. It’s largely mindset and finding time to prepare (whether it be packing meals or sourcing vegan restaurants), but I guarantee that once you discover that wholesome foods are delicious and won’t leave you feeling hungry/empty/sluggish, you’ll crave fruits and veg.
4. FKA Twigs’s self-directed (!) film for Nike Women is. fucking. stunning. It’s an aesthetic feast and incredible source of inspiration.
5. Nest Bedding’s “Love” mattress has completely changed my life. (FYI: It’s no longer listed online, but I was able to call their Brooklyn store to make a phone order.) I’m still an insomniac (that much can’t be helped), but the quality of sleep I’m getting—whether it’s an hour or four—has improved drastically. I can’t rave enough about the quality and customer service. Not only are their memory foam mattresses organic, but they’re made to order in the U.S.A. and crazy affordable.
. . .