1. I can’t stop eating golden kiwi. Also up there on the list of favorite fruits: black cherries. I may or may not have eaten half a bag while finishing up the first GoT episode of the season.
2. Stalking Lululemon’s “We Made Too Much” section used to be a pastime of mine from a period when I was determined to become a gym bunny. That obviously never happened, but it doesn’t mean that WMTM still isn’t a treasure trove of Lycra dreams. I recently snagged the Lululemon Effortless Jacket and have never loved a piece of actual outerwear (except my mom’s old leather jacket, RIP) more. Before you pass it by for its seemingly unassuming nature, give it a chance. It’s lightweight, water repellant, has a hood, and most important of all, has TONS OF HIDDEN POCKETS.
If that isn’t enough of a selling point, I don’t know what it is.
Also to note: it’s perfectly cropped. Not too short, not too boxy. It’s meant to be slightly oversized, but I was intent on sizing up for an even looser fit in anticipation of wearing it in fall over giant knits, but it’s pretty true to size.
3. Wearing the color blue brings me joy. (Perhaps joy isn’t the right word; it gives me the warm and fuzzies. Forgive me, I haven’t slept more than 4 hours a night the past two weeks.) I’ve worn shades of blue (up to three at the same time on two days!) exclusively this week, and before that, I’ve gravitated towards my (now discontinued) Kara backpack in sky blue as my go-to bag all summer long.
Except the month I was without it. While I was in Puerto Rico, a can of g spray leaked in my beloved Kara backpack. I. Was. Devastated. No amount of talc, baby powder, detergent, or leather cleaner could fix the (giant!) spot, and I couldn’t find this bag anywhere. It was ruined, it was irreplaceable, and this perfectly blue, perfectly practical bag had died an untimely death.
When even the best of leather spas could not remove the stain, I did what any desperate woman would do. Reach out to the wonderful team at Kara (Laura, I’m looking at you), basically beg to see if they have one in their secret, previous-season stash. Long story short, I have my blue backpack back in my life. All is well. All is good.
4. One of the perks of getting older, aside from being able to eat a whole bag of cherries without anyone telling you’ve really overdone it this time, is learning to not be afraid to speak your mind—or fear confrontation.
5. I’ve been itching to create again. For myself. Not for public consumption, not for work, but for my own eyes and sanity. So, in a concerted effort to save my right brain, I’ve ordered so many art supplies that my neighbors might think I’m going to art school come fall.
Come to think of it: doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all.
. . .